ramblinmatt

A blog designed to be at least slightly more interesting than Blogger's "Sample Blog", if only because it's in English.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradenton, Florida

"ramblinmatt at gmail dot com"

Friday, November 17, 2006

All hell breaking loose...

There's an upside and a downside to watching a lot of HGTV. The upside is that watching a bunch of those decorating shows is a good way to keep a person too distracted to actually try to accomplish any of the highly improbable design feats those people can all seem to get done in 22 minutes. The downside is that at some point the cable will go out and you won't have anything else to do except try to build a custom combination banquette/wall unit/storage system/dining nook, and all hell will break loose.

Since we did our house in Asheville I've built a few things I'm reasonably proud of. The deck surrounding the spa is pretty nice (even if the spa itself is a bit out of level - I blame bad advice from the company for that one). Leslie had a good idea for a storage system/raised step platform for in front of our closet that I was pleased to note after I had finished building did in fact include storage, was actually raised and could even be used for a step.

On the other hand, I tried to build a retaining wall along our driveway. While it is a wall, it's not so good at retaining. I built it about a year and a half ago and now either it's leaning rather dramatically in places, or else the entire rest of the world is. My ego would prefer to think it the latter, but it's possible I'm just kidding myself.

The only time we tried to build a traditional piece of furniture was in our first house when we tried to build a table. It seemed like a fairly straightforward project and it certainly seemed easy when they did it on HGTV (we were so naive then) so we went out and made a table top and some legs and screwed them all together. When we flipped it over it stood up just fine until we touched it, at which point it began to sway slowly back and forth on its inadequately secured legs as though as though being rocked gently in a cradle. Which would have been fine if we'd been building a cradle.

So against this mixed record of success, Leslie and I find ourselves in heated debate about the design fate of our living room in Greensboro. It's smaller than we're used to and we seem to have differing goals. I'll spare you the details but suffice it to say that my plan is contemporary, stylish, practical and generally as fabulous despite its heterosexual male genesis. Leslie's is also all of those things, but less so.

Her plan also involves us building a banquette/wall unit/storage system/dining nook that would also double as a spare bed. All hell breaking loose.

Lord, don't let the cable go out now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home