ramblinmatt

A blog designed to be at least slightly more interesting than Blogger's "Sample Blog", if only because it's in English.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradenton, Florida

"ramblinmatt at gmail dot com"

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Boo

Even though I quit trick-or-treating at the age of 20 (there was a really ritzy neighborhood across from our dorms where people left full-size candy bars out on their front porches, so it was really a form of entrapment), there is something that seems uniquely American about the practice of threatening people to give you stuff, so I was kind of looking forward to seeing at least a few kids at the door tonight. I think we may have gotten one trick-or-treater in three years in Asheville, and in the building I was living in at Halloween last year my neighbors asked me for food and/or money pretty much every day anyway.

We didn't get back from the gym until after 7, though, so we must have missed the kids. Then, since nobody showed up we forgot to turn off the light until 9:30, when the doorbell finally rang. There were two trick-or-treaters at the door who between them looked to be older than I am, but considering the time that was to be expected. What was kind of weird was the fact that even though they looked to be in their teens, they were at the door with either their father, or possibly their parole officer. I get why teens go out trick or treating, but doesn't having pop along kind of defeat the nefarious purpose?

2 Comments:

Blogger BOR-ee-us said...

I have a terrible sin to confess and this seems like as good a place as any to lay my soul bear. Last night some trick-or-treaters came to my door and I did not have any candy to give them. Everyone told me there were no trick-or-treaters in Princeville and that they all went to a neighboring town which is like the Mardi Gras of Halloween but really that's no excuse. Oh, Great Pumpkin forgive me!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Since it was late and I was about to turn off the light, those two trick or treaters scored half a bag of mini-Three Musketeers since I didn't want to end up eating the whole bag myself. (Leslie has nougatophobia, so she wasn't going to be tempted.) Now we have a whole bag of Sweet Tarts to save for next year.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home