Bedtime stories
I think I know why some people are reluctant to commit to a long-term relationship, especially marriage. But I'm here to tell you that you needn't fear: eventually, you won't feel obligated to snuggle, spoon, cuddle or in other ways disrupt the critical hours of sleep that all human beings require. At some point, the need for some decent shut-eye will allow both of you to admit that you can enjoy a little elbow room in the sack and still love each other.
The amount of time it takes to reach this pivotal point is, I suspect, inversely related to height. Since Leslie and I are both pretty long drinks of water, I think we reached that point shortly after our honeymoon (those cruise ship beds aren't giving you much room whether you want it or not). When we bought our first house we splurged on a nice king size bed that we were sold on by a salesman who encouraged us to jump up in the air and land on to show that the person on the other side would be able to sleep through even the most violent assault on their partner. Perfect!
So perhaps the most challenging part of our recent full-time reunion under one roof here in Greensboro has been the sleeping accomodations. The king size bed is staying in Asheville and we had only a queen down here. That meant a mere 60x80 inches for two tall people who like their sleep and two squirmy dogs who like to disrupt that sleep - and no room for poor Fife, who got demoted to the floor because we were afraid the old boy would kill himself jumping off the bed at night sometime when he got fed up with always getting kicked in the snout.
Yeah, we could only take that for about a week. The problem was another super-duper king bed would be pretty pricey and considering how long it took us to maneuver even the queen up our particular staircase, we doubted we'd be able to get one up there anyway. I came up with what I considered the perfect solution - double futons! Two full size futons on the floor would have been even bigger than a king! Plus, plenty of room for dogs and all at a safe height for the clumsier among them.
It was all a little too reminiscent of us sleeping on an actual dog bed, though, so I was vetoed. But we found a good compromise online, though, which I would recommend to any of you who are either looking to replace or bed or have finally reached the point of relationship nirvana where a good 24 inches between you at sleep time sounds just about right. We got a couple of those memory foam mattresses in extra-long twins, low to the ground, easy to maneuver and, it turns out, really comfortable. The only downside is that it's kind of a pain to get out of bed when you have to stand all the way up from the ground, but hey, it all seems to be about the dogs anyway so why not this too?
Of course, since we went to all that trouble, Fife seems to have decided that he'd still rather sleep on the floor, but at least the rest of us have been comfortable!
(If you're bed-shopping, we got our's from this place - http://bettersleep.ecrater.com/ - it looked a little iffy from their web site but they shipped immediately and it was way discounted, but still good quality.)
The amount of time it takes to reach this pivotal point is, I suspect, inversely related to height. Since Leslie and I are both pretty long drinks of water, I think we reached that point shortly after our honeymoon (those cruise ship beds aren't giving you much room whether you want it or not). When we bought our first house we splurged on a nice king size bed that we were sold on by a salesman who encouraged us to jump up in the air and land on to show that the person on the other side would be able to sleep through even the most violent assault on their partner. Perfect!
So perhaps the most challenging part of our recent full-time reunion under one roof here in Greensboro has been the sleeping accomodations. The king size bed is staying in Asheville and we had only a queen down here. That meant a mere 60x80 inches for two tall people who like their sleep and two squirmy dogs who like to disrupt that sleep - and no room for poor Fife, who got demoted to the floor because we were afraid the old boy would kill himself jumping off the bed at night sometime when he got fed up with always getting kicked in the snout.
Yeah, we could only take that for about a week. The problem was another super-duper king bed would be pretty pricey and considering how long it took us to maneuver even the queen up our particular staircase, we doubted we'd be able to get one up there anyway. I came up with what I considered the perfect solution - double futons! Two full size futons on the floor would have been even bigger than a king! Plus, plenty of room for dogs and all at a safe height for the clumsier among them.
It was all a little too reminiscent of us sleeping on an actual dog bed, though, so I was vetoed. But we found a good compromise online, though, which I would recommend to any of you who are either looking to replace or bed or have finally reached the point of relationship nirvana where a good 24 inches between you at sleep time sounds just about right. We got a couple of those memory foam mattresses in extra-long twins, low to the ground, easy to maneuver and, it turns out, really comfortable. The only downside is that it's kind of a pain to get out of bed when you have to stand all the way up from the ground, but hey, it all seems to be about the dogs anyway so why not this too?
Of course, since we went to all that trouble, Fife seems to have decided that he'd still rather sleep on the floor, but at least the rest of us have been comfortable!
(If you're bed-shopping, we got our's from this place - http://bettersleep.ecrater.com/ - it looked a little iffy from their web site but they shipped immediately and it was way discounted, but still good quality.)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home