ramblinmatt

A blog designed to be at least slightly more interesting than Blogger's "Sample Blog", if only because it's in English.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradenton, Florida

"ramblinmatt at gmail dot com"

Thursday, August 31, 2006

I'm sure you'll find this amusing...

So here are, from left to right, Kaylee, Fife and Fergus. They're all rescue dogs from an organization called Triangle Sheltie Rescue. We always feel good that we have been able to give these dogs a good home, but seriously, can you imagine abandoning a pet like that in the first place? Fife, in the middle, is probably the most understandable - he was one of about a dozen dogs that an old woman with Alzheimer's was keeping until they were rescued. We were third in line to adopt him, but he snapped at the kids in the two families in front of us so he couldn't go with them. Since we didn't have kids and didn't want 'em, he fit right in with us!

Fergus, who we got a year or so after Fife, was given up by a family that was going through a divorce. Apparently he'd been given to the kid as a puppy - a distraction, I guess? - but soon and I'm sure completely unexpectedly became not a puppy any more, so it was time to get rid of him. Or it could have been his almost literally unquenchable demand for someone to throw a ball for him to fetch. After a while, I can almost understand that one.

We're not sure about Kaylee - she was just turned into the pound after she was found wandering on a road up in the mountains near Asheville. She's the most loving of any of our dogs (this picture of her always reminds me of Fozzie Bear when he's laughing at one of his own jokes) and it's really hard to imagine her lost and alone. We fostered a lot of dogs in Asheville for the rescue group and she was the last one - and the only one who simply wasn't going to leave. How could we say no to that face?

I can't imagine abandoning a pet, but in these cases we're awfully glad somebody did.

2 Comments:

Blogger pussycat said...

Yeah! I have time for another blog....I'm glad you are "one of us" now.(infact...wasn't it your idea that we all do a blog?....and no one wanted to?...and now look!)
What a great photo...these are beautiful dogs...I like fergus' face a lot, there is a cute roundness to his snout. What is this lake they are in front of?
ps: I want to see Matt do hip hop areobics!

3:13 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

The hip-hop ain't gonna happen, I assure you, though with a few glasses of wine you never know.

We were at Price Lake, which is on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The parkway is beautiful, it runs from the tip of western North Carolina into Virginia, and happens to pass just about a mile from our house. There are no commercial vehicles allowed, no billboards or anything like that, so we try to use it whenever we can.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home