I know there must be hundreds of you out there who have been waiting two whole years for me to pay off on this bet I lost to Leslie. The quick recap for those who haven't been paying sufficient attention: At some point in history two completely dissimilar musical groups, Morris Day and the Time and Baltimora, accidentally recorded each other's songs, causing me to unjustly lose a bet about which one did "Jungle Love" rather than "Tarzan Boy."
So, as I hinted back then, there was a certain wager involved. The loser of the bet would have to videotape themselves doing one of Leslie's exercise videos, in particular a ridiculous cheesy hip-hop video that she never uses herself because she can't get through it without laughing. And then it would have to be posted here for the merriment of the entire Internet.
What I had going for me in this arrangement was the knowledge that she'd never get around to actually making me go through with it and might even prefer to continue having it to hold over my head indefinitely. That worked up until about a week ago, when I made the mistake of winning a bet of my own. This one was on a far more weighty topic - she was sure (but wrong) about the name of the little town north of here where we put in to kayak the Dan River - but I thought I'd get her with an embarrassing video of her own, of her performing the Chon Ji taekwondo moves that we had to learn to advance to yellow belts.
There was a fatal flaw in my plan, though. Winning the bet dislodged the comfortable status quo, and last weekend we recorded both videos to settle up. But it turns out her video wasn't embarrassing at all and was actually kind of cool, whereas mine was the most ridiculous thing ever done anywhere at any time.
It was so hopelessly stupid looking, in fact, that I had to overrule my good sporting nature and nix the Internet posting after all. I had visions of becoming the next Leave Britney Alone Guy, which I'm not sure would complement my chosen career path. In return I had to agree not to post her entirely benign video.
Her mercy extended only to the Internet posting, so the video is still available for in-person public consumption and was already the source of much inappropriate jocularity at a friend's house for dinner Saturday. But just so you, the viewer, are not left entirely empty handed in this situation, this may help you form your own mental image of what transpired.
At least I know that after nine years of marriage, I can still make her laugh...
So, as I hinted back then, there was a certain wager involved. The loser of the bet would have to videotape themselves doing one of Leslie's exercise videos, in particular a ridiculous cheesy hip-hop video that she never uses herself because she can't get through it without laughing. And then it would have to be posted here for the merriment of the entire Internet.
What I had going for me in this arrangement was the knowledge that she'd never get around to actually making me go through with it and might even prefer to continue having it to hold over my head indefinitely. That worked up until about a week ago, when I made the mistake of winning a bet of my own. This one was on a far more weighty topic - she was sure (but wrong) about the name of the little town north of here where we put in to kayak the Dan River - but I thought I'd get her with an embarrassing video of her own, of her performing the Chon Ji taekwondo moves that we had to learn to advance to yellow belts.
There was a fatal flaw in my plan, though. Winning the bet dislodged the comfortable status quo, and last weekend we recorded both videos to settle up. But it turns out her video wasn't embarrassing at all and was actually kind of cool, whereas mine was the most ridiculous thing ever done anywhere at any time.
It was so hopelessly stupid looking, in fact, that I had to overrule my good sporting nature and nix the Internet posting after all. I had visions of becoming the next Leave Britney Alone Guy, which I'm not sure would complement my chosen career path. In return I had to agree not to post her entirely benign video.
Her mercy extended only to the Internet posting, so the video is still available for in-person public consumption and was already the source of much inappropriate jocularity at a friend's house for dinner Saturday. But just so you, the viewer, are not left entirely empty handed in this situation, this may help you form your own mental image of what transpired.
At least I know that after nine years of marriage, I can still make her laugh...


1 Comments:
That is a totally unconscionable tease! I think I speak for all your readers in pointing out that if you had REALLY wanted to keep the videos quiet you wouldn't have mentioned them at all. Now that you have put it out there, you have NO CHOICE but to follow through and post both clips in their entirety!
Post a Comment
<< Home