After work last night we went down to check out the High Point Market, which is the biggest wholesale furniture market in the world. It happens twice a year and isn't open to the public, but I can get us in with press passes.
It has 12 million square feet of furniture for sale from manufacturers to retailers, and it's a good thing it's not open to the public because it pretty much ruins the retail furnture shopping experience for good. Not only because no store could ever possibly offer as wide a selection, but because once you've seen the wholesale prices on some of this stuff, you'll want to punch every retail furniture store owner in the nose for what they want to charge you for it. There are any number of reasons this isn't an entirely valid reaction, but especially at high-end stores, it's not entirely invalid either.
After walking around the showrooms for a while we went and saw the evening's free concert, from Morris Day and the Time. The High Point Market over the past few years has started putting on a lot more entertainment at night because Las Vegas recently launched its own furniture market that will be the same size as our's within a few years, and for some reason people are concerned that furniture buyers might prefer to spend a week in Las Vegas on business than a week in High Point. Which is crazy, obviously, because while Las Vegas might have affordable hotels, world-class dining and entertainment and at least a few more available hookers than "High Point Helen" down at the laundromat, it does not have
The World's Largest Chest of Drawers.
It was a good concert but I lost a bet to Leslie that they were the ones who did the song "Jungle Love" back in the 80s. I thought I had it won until the very end, butof course they had just saved it for the encore. In my defense, when I made the bet I was thinking of the song "Tarzan Boy", which was in fact not by The Time but by Baltimora, who also had such big hits as, um, the version of Tarzan Boy that came out again ten years later. It was an easy mistake, in that the background lyric to Tarzan Boy ("Whoa-oh-whoa-oh-wha-oh-wah-oh-whoa-oh") is simply a slightly expanded version of Jungle Love's ("Oh-whee-oh-whee-oh"). And I'd also like to point out that the lyrics to the song that had come to MY mind are of a good wholesome love story about "living in the open" and "rushing cross the forest", while the song that Leslie immediately thought of is not nearly so nice.
Last time I won a bet I ended up letting her out of paying it off, but since clearly I love her more than she loves me, I doubt I'll be so fortunate. Sadly, the terms included posting the whole fiasco here, so I suppose you'll see what I have to do before too long.
It has 12 million square feet of furniture for sale from manufacturers to retailers, and it's a good thing it's not open to the public because it pretty much ruins the retail furnture shopping experience for good. Not only because no store could ever possibly offer as wide a selection, but because once you've seen the wholesale prices on some of this stuff, you'll want to punch every retail furniture store owner in the nose for what they want to charge you for it. There are any number of reasons this isn't an entirely valid reaction, but especially at high-end stores, it's not entirely invalid either.
After walking around the showrooms for a while we went and saw the evening's free concert, from Morris Day and the Time. The High Point Market over the past few years has started putting on a lot more entertainment at night because Las Vegas recently launched its own furniture market that will be the same size as our's within a few years, and for some reason people are concerned that furniture buyers might prefer to spend a week in Las Vegas on business than a week in High Point. Which is crazy, obviously, because while Las Vegas might have affordable hotels, world-class dining and entertainment and at least a few more available hookers than "High Point Helen" down at the laundromat, it does not have
The World's Largest Chest of Drawers.It was a good concert but I lost a bet to Leslie that they were the ones who did the song "Jungle Love" back in the 80s. I thought I had it won until the very end, butof course they had just saved it for the encore. In my defense, when I made the bet I was thinking of the song "Tarzan Boy", which was in fact not by The Time but by Baltimora, who also had such big hits as, um, the version of Tarzan Boy that came out again ten years later. It was an easy mistake, in that the background lyric to Tarzan Boy ("Whoa-oh-whoa-oh-wha-oh-wah-oh-whoa-oh") is simply a slightly expanded version of Jungle Love's ("Oh-whee-oh-whee-oh"). And I'd also like to point out that the lyrics to the song that had come to MY mind are of a good wholesome love story about "living in the open" and "rushing cross the forest", while the song that Leslie immediately thought of is not nearly so nice.
Last time I won a bet I ended up letting her out of paying it off, but since clearly I love her more than she loves me, I doubt I'll be so fortunate. Sadly, the terms included posting the whole fiasco here, so I suppose you'll see what I have to do before too long.


2 Comments:
I delight in the humiliation of others so please be sure to include lots of photos and details!
My mom toured with Morris Day and the Time back whe I was in the seventh grade. She sent a lot of merch from the tour to my brother and I, which included three or four oversized sweatshirts and a "What Time is It?" program. I still have the program. Now that they are out of retirement, maybe I can sell it on ebay! Thanks for the hot tip, Matt!
Post a Comment
<< Home