In praise of marriage
There are many great things about being married, and being a typical guy I'm sure I don't spend enough time on bended knee reciting them in sonnet form to my beloved. But one occurred to me at the grocery store today.
Leslie is out of town, on her first mission for Myriad, and I was at the deli counter at the store picking up one of those ready-to-eat meals for dinner. There was an attractive young woman ahead of me, and she said this (seriously, with no exaggeration) to the counter person:
"Can I get just one small scoop of the tortellini salad please? It's just for me - I'll be eating it by myself, alone."
OK, for one thing, even though she was just explaining to the person, in an inadvertently sad and somewhat comical way, why she was making what I guess she thought was an unusual order, when I was single I don't think I ever heard that kind of perfect opening for a good pickup line. But that's neither here nor there.
More to the point, there was literally not the slightest difference between how I reacted to this scenario as a married person and how I know I would have reacted as a single, eligible bachelor on the prowl, which is of course to say, I did nothing at all. But the single me would have berated myself for days for having let such a golden opportunity pass.
As it was, not only was I able to focus all of that mental energy where it belonged, on my pot pie, but I actually had the psychic benefit of knowing that my inaction, rather than being a symptom of hopeless loserdom, actually catapulted me all the way up to the minimum baseline of acceptable husband behavior! Good for me!
Thanks dear!
Leslie is out of town, on her first mission for Myriad, and I was at the deli counter at the store picking up one of those ready-to-eat meals for dinner. There was an attractive young woman ahead of me, and she said this (seriously, with no exaggeration) to the counter person:
"Can I get just one small scoop of the tortellini salad please? It's just for me - I'll be eating it by myself, alone."
OK, for one thing, even though she was just explaining to the person, in an inadvertently sad and somewhat comical way, why she was making what I guess she thought was an unusual order, when I was single I don't think I ever heard that kind of perfect opening for a good pickup line. But that's neither here nor there.
More to the point, there was literally not the slightest difference between how I reacted to this scenario as a married person and how I know I would have reacted as a single, eligible bachelor on the prowl, which is of course to say, I did nothing at all. But the single me would have berated myself for days for having let such a golden opportunity pass.
As it was, not only was I able to focus all of that mental energy where it belonged, on my pot pie, but I actually had the psychic benefit of knowing that my inaction, rather than being a symptom of hopeless loserdom, actually catapulted me all the way up to the minimum baseline of acceptable husband behavior! Good for me!
Thanks dear!


2 Comments:
Sometimes when people say "LOL," I wonder if they actually laughed out loud. So let me say in all honesty that I did indeed laugh out loud.
Pot pie is not a veggy, sweetie. While I appreciate the loyalty of your story, I would have liked to see some more greens in there.
Post a Comment
<< Home