ramblinmatt

A blog designed to be at least slightly more interesting than Blogger's "Sample Blog", if only because it's in English.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradenton, Florida

"ramblinmatt at gmail dot com"

Thursday, April 12, 2007

One way to handle stress

How much stress at work can you handle? Something tells me it's more than our new/former research director at the paper.

The research director does a number of things, mostly surveying local companies to put together our weekly "Top 25" lists (biggest employers, biggest furniture manufacturers, that kind of stuff) and collecting information for some other parts of the paper. It's a fair amount of stuff but nothing you would call overwhelming. Our former research director had been there for five years but was going back to school, but she stuck around long enough to train her replacement.

So yesterday was the former research director's last day, so today was the new one's first day on her own. I was out on an interview this morning when this happened, but apprently when she came in and started to work, she soon thought she had lost a file on the computer. At which point she put her keys to the office on her desk, sent an email to the editor saying basically "Sorry, can't do it" and walked out.

There are stressful newspaper jobs, but a weekly business paper is probably near the bottom of the list of where they are. How many jobs can a person handle who can't handle losing a computer file? And of course, the file wasn't really lost, our design editor found it in just a few minutes.

On an unrelated office note, tomorrow I will be attending my first ever baby shower for one of my colleagues. I always kind of thought baby showers were women-only, but if it's in the conference room at 3:30 in the afternoon, I guess I'm going too. The only thing I know to expect is that we're going to play some game where we guess exactly when the baby is going to be born. Somehow I missed the memo that provided all the details of the conception, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home